Extra Allowance for Children with Disability
This allowance is granted over and above the standard children’s allowance. Parents of children who are suffering from any sort of physical or mental disability may apply for the Disabled Child Allowance.
Disabled Child AllowanceInformation regarding the allowance for disabled children.
Parent(s) qualify to receive this allowance if the following criteria are fulfilled:
- Care and custody of the child must belong to the applicant.
- At least one parent / custodian must satisfy the residence or citizenship criteria.
- A medical panel’s certification that the child suffers from a mental or physical disability.
The following must be submitted to the Social Security Department:
- The application form must be completed and signed by both parents and a doctor to certify the child’s medical condition.
- Supporting documents relating to the child’s medical conditions, if applicable.
Visit any Social Security regional office, take your required documents and apply there. Alternatively, you can download the relevant application form here, attach all the required documents, and drop it off at your nearest Social Security regional office or send it by post to:
|Department of Social Security|
|Children’s Allowance Section|
|38, Ordinance Street|
|Valletta VLT 2000|
The Social Security Department must receive the application within 6 months from birth or the commencement of the child’s medical condition. No documentation relating to income need be submitted. After you submit your application, the medical board certifies your child as eligible for this allowance and then relevant payments are issued to your specified bank account.